Roof Repair vs. Roof Replacement: Understanding Each One
There is nothing as frustrating as experiencing a leak on your roof. A small leak roof repair is manageable and easy to detect, but you might lose sleep on leaks that seem to be coming from many places.
Addressing common issues like a leak requires a thorough inspection of where the problem is coming from. Then it would be best to weigh your roof’s needs – a roof repair or replacement.
Either way, both options have their advantages. However, it would be best if you determined the most pragmatic and cost-effective for you and your family. Naturally, any roof salesman would readily recommend a replacement because he is trying to sell you a material.
We at Water Damage and Roofing of Round Rock will help you weigh your options carefully and in a practical manner. As a matter of company principle, we want to help clients get the best out of every service we offer.
To us as a business, it isn’t always about learning something. We are all about giving the best roofing services and building lasting and strong working relationships with clients. Our business is more than just bringing in the big bucks. We are also about helping families and businesses live comfortably.
Advantages of Roof Repairs
Do you want to know if getting roof repairs is best for you? These are some advantages:
- If the problem causing your leaks comes from a small portion of the roof that a simple replacement can address, this can mean a lot of savings for your family.
- You only need to buy minimal roofing materials. Therefore, it’s less expensive than a complete roof replacement.
- You can quickly call roofing service providers to work on the needed replacement, and they can be done with your roof in no time.
- Timely repair increases the longevity and value of your property.
- You can leverage roof components that still work. When some parts of your roof are damaged but others continue functioning as they should, repairs can help you replace those causing issues to extend your roof’s lifespan.
Following a consistent routine for your roof maintenance is very helpful in preventing major problems from occurring and causing you to put out a considerable amount of money at a time when you least expect it just to get repairs or replacements done.
Timely roof maintenance helps you prevent costly roof repairs, allows you to control damage to your property, maintains the aesthetics of your property, extends the life of your roof, and supports cost-effective measures inside your home by keeping heat and cool air from getting out.
Benefits of Roof Replacement
In some cases, getting your roof repaired is not the best option. That’s why you may also consider a roof replacement.
These are the benefits that you can enjoy if you replace your roof:
- Replacing the entire roof keeps your home safe and increases its curb appeal.
- You get peace of mind no matter what kind of weather you are experiencing.
- Regardless of the roofing material, a suitable roof replacement is a good and lasting investment.
- It helps you save energy by preventing heat and cold air from coming out.
- You get a manufacturer’s guarantee when you hire the services of a legitimate and duly certified contractor.
- If you replace your roof, you’ll have peace of mind that it won’t break anytime soon, and you won’t have to spend a fortune on repairs any time soon.
Repair or Replace a Roof: Which Is the Best Option?
Did you find some broken asphalt shingles on your roof? Are there roof leaks allowing water to enter your property? You can find a solution, but the options may vary.
Sometimes you might need a new roof. In some cases, installing new shingles to repair the damage may work. However, how do you know which is the best alternative for you?
Fortunately, we’ve got you covered! Our team of seasoned roofing tradesmen can help you determine if you need a new roof installation or can repair the existing one.
However, you can look at certain factors if you want to know whether to repair or replace your roof before requesting an inspection.
What to Consider When Deciding to Repair or Replace A Roof
Did you notice missing or damaged shingles? Do you think the last storm wreaked havoc on your property and don’t know if getting a new roof is the best idea? These are some factors that you can consider to make the best decision.
The Age of Your Roof
If you must decide whether to replace or repair your roof, one of the first things to consider is its age. Overall, structures made of three-tab asphalt shingles last 15 to 20 years.
However, roofs made from higher-quality architectural shingles can last up to 40 years and withstand higher winds.
A slate roof is often more durable. On average, structures made with this material can last up to 100 years.
Moreover, some structures can have a shorter lifespan depending on the weather, if natural disasters damage them if they receive regular maintenance and other aspects.
Signs that your Roof is Old
If you notice the following signs, you may need a new roof:
- Missing shingles
- Bald shingles
- Shingles curling or buckling
- Roof sagging
- Moss covering the structure
- Granules in gutters
- Blistering shingles
- And more!
Are You Planning to Move or Sell Your Property?
Another factor you must consider when determining if you should replace or repair your roof is how long you plan to live or use that property. Repairing your roof may be the best option if you are there for a while.
However, when you plan to sell your home, finding a buyer can be difficult if the roof is damaged or in poor condition.
As a basic rule of thumb, you should call a professional roofer and request an inspection if the roof has had multiple repairs and is around 15 years old. Experts can help you know if a particular spot requires attention or if a specific part needs to be fixed.
If the roof looks suitable for the most part, with regular maintenance and a few repairs, you might be able to fix minor issues. In this case, it is essential to ask your trusted roofer to perform an inspection at least once a year to ensure no damage or need for repairs.
However, if you expect to move soon and want to put the property up for sale, it is better to replace the roof. When you improve your home’s and roof’s curb appeal, succeeding in the real estate market is easier!
Also, if you calculate a fair price, you can get a return of almost 70% of the roof replacement cost!
Finally, there’s the budget. Do you know how much money you can invest in your roof? Installing a new roof will always be more expensive than repairing an existing one.
Therefore, if you are looking for cost-effective ways to fix a problem in your roof, repairs may be better than a complete roof replacement.
Repairing a roof can extend its lifespan, even if it’s old, until a replacement is needed.
WHEN TO GET A ROOF REPAIR
If you notice some of the following signs, you may want to consider getting your roof repaired:
- Missing shingles
- Leaks around the pipe boot or the chimney
- Nail pops
- Air gun nailing mistakes
- Granule loss
- Fascia replacement
- Punctures and holes
- Poor installation
- Tree damage
- Ventilation issues
- Cracking and blistering
- And others
DISADVANTAGES OF ROOF REPAIRS
There are also some disadvantages that you need to consider before making a decision. These include:
- Finding new shingles with matching colors can be almost impossible since the existing ones often lighten due to the sun’s rays. It can result in an unsightly curb appeal that anyone can notice.
- If you don’t hire experts and the roof work is not done correctly, your roof could suffer further damage or leak.
- Some issues are fixed in the short term but continue to appear frequently.
- Shingles age even if you repair them, so you’ll still have to replace them at some point.
WHEN TO GET YOUR ROOF REPLACED
Do you want to know if you should replace your roof? Here are some of the signs to look out for:
- Significant water damage in the upstairs or attic
- A roof that has outlived its lifespan
- Moss, mold, or fungi appearance
- Curling or buckling shingles
- Many missing shingles or granules
- High cooling bills
- Repairs are not enough (Ideally, you should ask an expert for an inspection to determine this)
DISADVANTAGES OF A ROOF REPLACEMENT
If you’re still unsure if a roof replacement is for you, you should also consider the downsides of this process. These are some:
- Roof replacements can be noisy and cause problems with your neighbors or force you to spend time away from home.
- You must pay for cleaning services if the roofing companies do not offer them.
- Choosing a new roof takes time, as you must pick the right roofing materials, get people (if necessary), and more!
- Installing a new roof is more expensive than replacing missing shingles since this process often involves more material and labor costs.
ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION
Did you try to sell your house, but a real estate agent told you you need a complete replacement? Does a neighbor think you should get a new roof? Before hiring those services, call an expert and get a second opinion.
In some cases, repairs can increase the lifespan of an older roof and help you save money.
Therefore, before deciding, call a reputable roofing company and request an inspection to determine the best option.
DO YOU NEED HELP TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION AND FIND THE BEST SOLUTION?
If you need help to make a decision adapted to your needs or are sure you should get a roof replacement or repair, a roofing contractor can be your best ally!
A roofing company can offer you the services you need to replace your roof or repair those roofing problems to give you peace of mind and safety while at home.
From a simple repair to solve issues caused by high winds to replacing old shingles with a new structure, seasoned roofing companies provide high-quality services and warranties to protect yourself and your property!
CALL RELIABLE ROOFING CONTRACTORS TODAY
No matter what your choice will be to improve the present state of your roof, it is vital to always ask for help from the experts.
If you need help from professional roofers to inspect your property and help you pick the right choice, call us today!
Call Water Damage and Roofing of Round Rock today for an in-depth and comprehensive assessment of your roofing needs.