How Much Does Rubber Roofing Cost?
Rubber roofing, also known as EPDM roofing, has recently gained popularity due to its durability, low maintenance, and cost-effectiveness. Many homeowners and business owners consider rubber roofing a viable option for their roofing needs.
However, one of the most common questions is, “How much does rubber roofing cost?” In this article, we will explore the factors that influence the cost of rubber roofing and estimate the total cost.
Factors that Influence Rubber Roofing Cost
Several factors can impact the cost of rubber roofing. These include:
Size of the Roof
The larger the roof, the more expensive it will be to install rubber roofing. This is because more materials will be required, and it will take more time to complete the installation.
Complexity of the Roof
A complex roof with multiple angles, hips, and valleys will require more work and materials, increasing the installation cost.
The accessibility of the roof also affects the cost of installation. The labor cost will be higher if the roof is difficult to access.
Type of EPDM Rubber
There are different types of EPDM rubber, each with its own cost. The two most common types of EPDM rubber are black and white. Black EPDM is the most affordable option, while white EPDM is more expensive due to its reflective properties, which help to reduce energy costs.
There are two methods for installing rubber roofing: ballasted and fully adhered. A ballasted roof uses stones or pavers to hold the membrane, while a fully adhered roof requires the membrane to be glued directly to the roof deck. The fully adhered method is more expensive but provides better protection against leaks.
Rubber Roofing Cost Estimate
Now we know the factors that influence the cost of rubber roofing. Let’s take a look at a cost estimate for a typical installation.
- Size of the Roof: 1,500 square feet
- Type of EPDM Rubber: Black
- Installation Method: Fully Adhered
- EPDM Rubber: $1.50 to $2.50 per square foot
- Adhesive: $0.50 to $1.00 per square foot
- Sealant: $0.10 to $0.20 per linear foot
- Flashing: $3.00 to $5.00 per linear foot
Installation: $3.00 to $5.00 per square foot.
Using the above estimates, the total cost for a 1,500-square-foot roof would be approximately $7,350 to $12,350. This cost includes both materials and labor.
It is important to note that this is just an estimate. The actual rubber roofing cost varies depending on your project’s specific requirements. Getting a detailed quote from a professional roofing contractor before making any decisions is always a good idea.
Benefits of Rubber Roofing
While rubber roofing may seem like a costly investment, there are several benefits to consider that make it a worthwhile option.
Rubber roofing is incredibly durable and can last up to 50 years with proper maintenance. This means you won’t have to worry about replacing your roof soon.
Rubber roofing requires very little maintenance, so that you can save money on repairs and upkeep over time.
White EPDM rubber can reflect sunlight, which helps to reduce energy costs by keeping your building cooler in the summer.
Rubber roofing is relatively easy to install, so the installation process is quicker and less disruptive than other roofing options.
Professional vs. DIY Rubber Roofing Installation
Rubber roofing installation can be done professionally or as a DIY project. Both options have their pros and cons.
- Expertise and experience: Professional roofers have the knowledge and experience to install rubber roofing correctly and efficiently.
- Quality materials: Professional roofers typically have access to high-quality materials and tools that may not be readily available to DIYers.
- Warranty: Most professional roofing contractors offer a warranty on their work, providing homeowners with peace of mind.
- Cost: Professional installation can be costly, depending on the project size and the roofing contractor’s rates.
- Scheduling: It can be challenging to schedule a professional roofing installation during peak roofing season, leaving homeowners waiting for weeks or months.
- Limited involvement: Homeowners may feel less involved in the installation process and need more control over the materials and techniques used.
- Cost savings: DIY installation can be significantly less expensive than hiring a professional.
- Flexibility: Homeowners have more flexibility in scheduling and can work on the project at their own pace.
- Control: Homeowners have complete control over the materials and techniques used.
- Time-consuming: Installing rubber roofing requires significant time and effort, particularly for larger roofs.
- Risk of error: Incorrect installation can lead to leaks and other issues that can be costly to repair.
- Lack of expertise: DIYers may need to gain the knowledge or experience needed to install rubber roofing, which can lead to mistakes properly.
Ultimately, deciding whether to install rubber roofing professionally or as a DIY project will depend on factors such as budget, schedule, and experience level. Homeowners should carefully weigh the pros and cons of each option and consider their skills and resources before deciding.
How to find the Best Rubber Roofers
Finding the best rubber roofers requires some research and careful consideration. Here are some steps to help you find the right rubber roofers for your project:
- Ask for referrals: Ask friends, family, and neighbors if they have had any rubber roofing work done recently and if they can recommend a roofing contractor. Word-of-mouth referrals can be a great way to find reliable and trustworthy roofers.
- Check online reviews: Look for reviews of local roofing contractors on websites like Google, Yelp, and Angie’s List. Pay attention to comments about the quality of work, communication, and customer service.
- Verify licensing and insurance: Make sure any potential roofing contractors are properly licensed and insured. You can check with your state’s licensing board to confirm a contractor’s license and ask for proof of insurance.
- Get multiple quotes: Obtain at least three quotes from roofing contractors to compare prices and services. Be sure to ask for a detailed breakdown of costs and services included in each quote.
- Ask for references: Ask potential roofing contractors for references from past customers. Contact these references and ask about their experience working with the contractor.
- Check the Better Business Bureau: Look up roofing contractors on its website to see if they have any complaints or negative ratings.
- Ask about warranties: Ask potential roofing contractors about their warranties and guarantees for their work. A reputable contractor will stand behind their work and offer a service warranty.
By following these steps, you can find the best rubber roofers for your project and ensure that you work with a reliable and experienced contractor.
TOP-RATED ROOFING CONTRACTORS IN ROUND ROCK, TEXAS
Water Damage and Roofing of Round Rock is located at 30 Woodland Ln, Round Rock, TX. From Austin-Bergstrom International Airport(AUS) head east toward E McNeil Rd, and then turn left toward S Brown St. Continue straight onto S Brown St and then turn right onto E McNeil Rd. Turn left at the 2nd cross street onto S I-35 Frontage Rd/Morrow St and then take the ramp on the left onto I-35 S. Merge onto I-35 S. Afterwards, take the exit toward US-183 Hwy S and then take the ramp to U.S. 183 S. Merge onto US-183 Hwy S and then keep left to continue on 183 Toll. Continue onto S Hwy 183 (signs for Texas 71 W/Ben White Blvd/Riverside Dr) and then use the left 2 lanes to turn left to merge onto State Hwy 71 E. Exit onto Spirit of Texas Dr and after 0.4 miles you have arrived at Water Damage and Roofing of Round Rock.
We are open 24/7.
For additional questions, call us at (512) 566-5511.
Always entrust your roofing services needs to professionals and certified contractors who value customer satisfaction and excellence.
Water Damage & Roofing of Round Rock is located in Round Rock, Texas. We can be reached on Yellow Pages and Go My Local. If you would like a more personalized experience you can call us at (512) 566-5511 any hour of any day.
We value the needs of our clients and we always make sure that we meet them with utmost care and excellent results.
No matter how simple the roofing service may be, our highly skilled and trained staff members always give their best.